There are 12 rules that apply for cover letters:
- Always send a neat letter not an email (unless instructed to).
- Be honest and to the point.
- Be unique and focused in your paragraphs.
- Make a personal connection with the target.
- Portray your personality in your communication.
- Target the correct individual.
- Ensure you have some control over the outcome.
- Be concise in your choice of words.
- Be consistent ensuring the phrases are similar to your resume.
- Ensure no extraneous issues are inadvertently included.
- Only one page is necessary (anything longer is too much information).
- The objective of the cover letter is to get you to the interview.